Saturday, January 16, 2010

Round Two... FIGHT!

When our band plays our song "I Can't Be Anybody Else" live, I normally do a ultra fuzzed-out guitar solo in the middle of the song. This is the way I initially recorded the solo as well, but then since Alec let me borrow his Vox AC-30 for this recording project, I decided to go with something a little different.

Just about everyone is familiar with the "guitar battle" at the end of The Beatles' "Abbey Road" album where George Harrison, Paul McCartney and John Lennon trade fours on guitar. A very cool sound may I add. This is the direction that I decided to take the guitar solo section for the song, since I now had the access to two different and great sounding amplifiers, and an assortment of guitars and pedals.

Since the guitar solo section is sixteen measures long, I decided to split the solo into four distinct sounds. I eventually settled on using my Epiphone Les Paul (safe choice, since it's my live guitar 80 percent of the time) using different pickup selections and amounts of drive on the amplifiers for each section.


The Katie '66 was used for 3 of the 4 solo sections, with different EQ and Drive for each section.


Sennheiser MD421 Mk. II. This mic as a very clear and crisp sound for electric guitar, with a little bit more definition in the high-mids than the Shure SM57. I placed the microphone by monitoring the sound through headphones rather than visually.


Vox AC-30 for that chimey, yet crunchy tone. These amps always remind me of the guitar sounds of The Kinks and The Beatles. I used an SM57 to tame a bit of the high-mids that the amp has inherently.

I'll be posting sound bites of this song soon on our myspace page, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment