Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Roadwaves" Pre-Production


Since my recent graduation, I haven't skipped a beat and dove headlong into getting ready for the recording of a new album with my band, The Short Term Melody. The album project, dubbed "Roadwaves" by The Short Term Melody's bassist, Alec Giel, has been waiting in the wings for more than a year. We've attempted to record this album twice, but extenuating circumstances have always got in the way.

So third time's the charm, right?

Anyway, for the past two days, I've been doing non-stop pre-production recordings, "scratch" recordings per se, in order to establish song arrangement as well as play with guitar and vocal parts, and of course, experiment with mic placement. Once I am finished with these scratch recordings, I will hand them off to Alec and Mike so they can brainstorm parts on their respective instruments. I have never done things this way before, but I hope that in doing so, will allow Mike and Alec more ample time to think of what they might want to contribute.

So this week I've been making good progress, and hopefully by Monday next week, I will have all the scratch guitar and vocal takes recorded.

I have also been in the process of designing a website for the band, which will hopefully be launching sometime in June. The website will be the official hub for all things Short Term Melody, and once the site is launched, I will be periodically be posting sound clips of our album progress. Stay tuned for more news!

No comments:

Post a Comment