Thursday, October 4, 2012

Humming along... or singing along. Roadwaves update.

So "Roadwaves" continues to bump along down the road of recording. From an amplifier meltdown to a whole host of renovations (and utter destruction) that kept me from using my home studio for more than a month, plus snaking around busy work schedules, it's been an interesting summer. But the band still soldiers on.

I've begun work on recording the lead vocals for the album, with so far two songs completed. These songs still await backing vocals, harmonies and such, then mixing before actually being considered "completed," but it feels great to finally be over the massive hump that was recording the instrumentation for the album. Once I started laying down vocal tracks, it started feeling like the finish line is in sight. 

The fun part is that through the whole melee of setback after setback, I was able to procure a new microphone: the SE Electronics SE2200a. I have wanted a microphone that would be dedicated strictly for vocal use for a long time, just so the vocals could have their own distinct sonic signature from the instruments. I took my time researching the multitudes of budget-friendly large diaphragm condenser microphones out there, and felt that the SE2200a, with it's output transformer and 25mm diaphragm size addressed my sonic desires best. 

I won't go into detail about the mic here; an in-depth review will be soon to follow. Without further ado, I am quite pleased with the results. The SE2200 is a very classy, smooth microphone that works well with my voice. Another tool in the box of tricks.

Anyway, that is all for now. It's time to lay down more vocals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment