Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Portfolio Coffeehouse.

Portfolio (2006 - 2008)
Portfolio Coffeehouse is a charming little cafe on the corner of 4th St. and Junipero Ave in Long Beach, California. They have an open mic every Wednesday Night hosted by a cool lady named Hanna. Though not the first open mic I played, this was the first one I made friends at. The first of these friends was Sheryl Librojo, a great singer-songwriter. Her songs were so soulful and heartfelt, and had a great sense of groove and rhythm. We began jamming together after the open mic and sometimes when we weren't working or in class (And I wasn't in class very much during this time), and soon began performing at the open mic and shows together. I soon became her lead guitarist.
Sheryl and Allen, Photosynthesis Art Show 2007 (photo by Melissa Kraft)

We went on to play many shows together and even recorded two self produced demos: "Better With You" (2007) and "Help Wanted" (2008). Her sense of melody and musical freedom influenced me greatly, especially during 2006 and 2007 when I was particularly active in the open mic scene. 
Cafe Dulouve, San Francisco. November 2006 (photo by Rachel Garcia)


I also met other great musicians at this open mic: Rachel Ryan , also a great friend and songwriter with wonderful vocal melodies and a very ethereal sound. Rachel Ryan with Sheryl and myself did a couple dates in San Francisco during the winter of 2006. Matt Kollar - band leader of his group Matt Kollar and the Angry Mob . They have a very fun, eclectic sound that is a mix of folk, blues, and early rock 'n roll. There are some early jazz and hard-bop tendencies on some of the songs, which also provide interesting textures and color. They have an album out called "Farewell Adventure" is most certainly worth listening to.  


To this day, Portfolio still holds a place in my heart; all of the great times at the open mic and all the great times I had with the people that I met there. And of course it would, since Portfolio is also the place that I met my beautiful girlfriend. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment