Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Ugly Mug.

The Ugly Mug (Summer 2006)
One of the more quirkier open mics I had gone to. The Ugly Mug is a coffee shop owned by a man named Phil, who's grumpy attitude might seem a little rude at first, but somehow becomes charming and maybe even endearing. That's just me... I find his grumpiness somewhat amusing. In the summer of 2006, there was a pretty consistent group of people that came to the open mic, and it became OUR open mic. I had first heard of the open mic through my friend Mike, who heard of it through a friend of his girlfriend's... or was it the friend of his girlfriend's friend's.... I'm not sure how it worked anymore. But from here I met some pretty cool people, some becoming pretty good friends of mine. 

The Ugly Mug, Summer 2006 (photo by Lauren Vu)

One day I was sitting inside the Ugly Mug awaiting my turn to play when a man took to the stage and started hooting and hollering with all his might. He strummed the guitar like a madman, and I believed the guitar and eventually entire room would go up in flames if he continued on for long enough. I thought he sounded like the singer of the 1960's psychedelic group 13th Floor Elevators, Roky Erickson, when he broke into the 13th Floor Elevators song, "You're Going to Miss Me." If you've never heard the song before, I suggest downloading it... it's a garage rock masterpiece. His name come to find out was Chris Lynch, and over the years has become one of my better friends. He's a great blues songwriter; and man does he really feel the blues. And if you ever get the chance to see him play, you'll know what I'm talking about. He plays the living shit out of his guitar, harmonica or really any instrument he touches. It's quite remarkable. He plays solo , along with his group The Shovels and Death Hymn No. 9 , and is also a great disc jockey performing as DJ Oldboy .

I also met Lauren, who's probably one of the sweetest people I've ever met. Though not a musician, she was often there snapping photographs (like the one above) and taking videos of all the performers. I love people like that; truly a big fan of music. At this open mic, I also met a performer by the name of Danny Maika , who's laid-back pop rock sound will put you in a good mood, no matter how bad of a day you are having. He gave me my first gig at Cafe Ruba in Newport Beach, which unfortunately closed its doors two years ago. 

I feel that for all of the performers that played at the Ugly Mug, the open mic was a test bed for new songs and new ideas. At least for me, I was at an early developmental stage: I knew how to play the guitar, I kind of could sing, and I could write, somewhat. It was a time for all of us to find our voice and our style. I hope to go back there again someday. 

1 comment: